What if? That is a phrase that has been constantly on my mind lately. Primarily because of Ephesians 3:20-21. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
WOW! God says He can do more than we imagine. My mind begins to spin with all the “what if’s” pertaining to Grace Church especially as we focus on the last part of this passage: to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations. What needs to happen to insure God’s glory in Grace throughout the next generations? Here are some of my what ifs:
- What if… God’s glory was experienced and people would walk out of church transformed?
- What if… 20 and 30 year olds found a church they could call home?
- What if… serving was the norm and ministries had waiting lists and new ministries developed?
- What if…there was a clear path to become a disciple that makes disciples?
- What if…there were a church where people would say: “My how they love one another!”
- What if…there were a church where people routinely share their stories?
- What if…there were a church that welcomed diversity of race, inviting them, welcoming them, and developing meaningful relationships?
- What if…there were a church where there was no indebtedness, and money once given to pay off a building could be invested ministry?
- What if…each year there were enough resources for the operating budget called for? What could they do to help relieve suffering around the world and help people find Jesus?
The great news is we are seeing some of these what ifs already: God’s glory is being experienced and life change is happening. We are seeing more and more 20 and 30 year olds making Grace their home (this is going against the trend in our culture). We are establishing clear paths for people to become a devoted disciple (more information is coming soon). Many people are lining up to share their stories of what God is doing.
I believe there is a foundation at Grace for all of these “what ifs” to become realities!
There are a few that need our attention and commitment. Two of the what ifs deal with finances, our indebtedness, and our current budget situation. Giving is12% behind our budget need. This amount is small to the God who can do immeasurably more. I know that no one wants anything cut from what we hope to do. I know that each of the what ifs are not just my hopes and desires for Grace. I know that many if not all of you share those dreams. Throughout the Bible we see times when God showed up when people stood up, took part, and believed the God of immeasurably more!
Will you consider what you will do in order to move the above what ifs into reality? Will you believe? Will you pray? Will you give? Will you join me in turning our what ifs into what God has done?